March 19, 2006

ABOUT: "Bongo": *Sixeyes Review

About
Bongo
[Cock Rock Disco - May 16th]
*Sixeyes Score: 7.7 out of 10

About is the musical vehicle of Dutchman, Rutger Hoedemaekers. A vehicle that, from the sounds of it, may be a head turner (an ear turner?). One of those fossil fuel burners that snag the corner of your eye as they pass. Nothing as crass as an old VW bug with a Rolls Royce grill up front, this is pure and twisted. Electro-pop that fizzes up and out of the glass. That charges you with electrons and ions. That charges you with the task of dancing all night long. Just cue up the CD and dance through the first four tracks, then give it a rest when "Give it a Rest" spins (yeah, I know, but I'm not going to say sorry). It's short and sweetly lilting, even with the huge thumping drum behind his vocal. Standouts include "boo (Hoo)", which displays a great sense of melody and a fine sense of humour and lead off track, "think Niles Drink", a made for radio single in that mythical land where radio is, uhh... still good. And that mythical land? Prepubecense. The last time I thought radio was good, I was ten. But About ain't no myth... they're real. And you know... I don't usually go for electro-pop, so, I have to ask myself, why now? So, I listen again and then some more. It's good, that's all... and I like it, I like it a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment