The Fiery Furnaces, Matt Friedberger, will release his first solo effort, a double disc entitled Winter Women / Holy Ghost Language School, this August 8th on the newly formed label 859 Recordings.
Much like the difference between Rehearsing my Choir and Bitter Tea, so it goes with the upcoming double album. Winter Women is the 'pop' record, whereas Holy Ghost Language School is the experimental effort with a narrative structure.
Friedberger makes these two discs a true solo effort as he plays all instruments, with the exception of some drumming done by Tortoise's John McEntire. Produced this past March by Bill Skibbe at Benton Harbor, Michigan's Key Club Recording, the songs were culled from what Friedberger has written over the past three years.
The Fiery Furnaces, Friedberger and his sister, Eleanor, launch their European tour this Thursday in Manchester and will wrap it up with an appearance at All Tomorrow's Parties on May 20th. In June they'll tour the US with a focus on the West Coast and Midwest.
Track Listing for the two records:
1. Under The Hood At The Paradise Garage.
2. The Pennsylvania Rock Oil Co. Resignation Letter.
3. Up The River.
4. Ruth versus Richard.
5. Her Chinese Typewriter.
6. Big Bill Crib & His Ladies Of The Desert.
7. Don’t You Remember?
8. Betcha Don’t.
9. PS.213 Mini School.
10. Theme From Never Going Home Again.
12. Quick As Cupid.
13. I Love You Cedric.
14. Servant In Distress.
16. Wisconsin River Blues.
Holy Ghost Language School:
1. Seventh Loop Highway.
2. Holy Ghost Language School.
3. The Cross And The Switchblade.
4. I Started Drinking Alcohol At The Age Of Eleven.
5. Do You Like Blondes?
6. Azusa St.
7. Topeka and San Antonio.
8. A Mystical Preparative To Lewdness.
9. Ship Scrap Beach Business.
10. First Day Of School.
11. Things Were Going So Well.
12. All In Vain Or The Opposite.
13. Moral and Epilouge