February 08, 2007

MY PROJECT BLUE

The young Canadian band, My Project: Blue, is quite often described with reference to David Bowie, but I don't hear it. What I do hear is a striking similarity to Dan Bejar (Destroyer). Bejar crossed with Lou Reed in this song especially. But then Bejar himself has been oft described as a Bowie acolyte, a disciple at the altar of the David, by those who hear Mr Jones in Mr Bejar's music... I don't. Not usually. When I listen to this My Project: Blue song, I most definitely hear the 'voice-made-for-indie' nasal essence of BC native, Dan Bejar. And, yes, some glam elements are present in My Project: Blue music, hell, you can almost see the glitter on the guitar, where it has fallen all the way from the '70s. All right... it's Dan Bejar vocals, '70's glam vibe, and '80's new wave instruments. And I'll admit Bowie has influenced all of these elements. It's just that I don't hear the direct connection... do you?

+ control of me
from the My Project: Blue EP

Track Listing
1. Messed Up In the Heart
2. These Re-Occuring Nightmares
3. The Boy Who Wore Red
4. Control Of Me
5. Consume

Upcoming Tour Dates
04-14 Vancouver, BC - the Media Club~
04-15 Victoria, BC - Steamers`
04-16 Seattle, WA - The Tractor Tavern#
04-17 Portland, OR - Dunes#
04-19 San Francisco - Annie's Social Club-
04-21 Reno, NV - Satellite Bar#
04-22 Los Angeles, CA - Lava Lounge#
04-28 Vancouver, BC - The Penthouse%

~ "WEST COAST OBLITERATION TOUR SEND OFF PARTY" w/ Spookey Ruben - Early Show - Doors 7pm - Show 8pm
` w/ Spookey Ruben, Blue Mundae, and Dirtfella
# w/ Spookey Ruben
- w/ Spookey Ruben and The Feeling Machine
% w/ Catlow, Run Chico Run, and The Salteens



++My Project: Blue++
Official Site * Myspace * Buy - My Project: Blue * More MP3s * Label


No comments:

Post a Comment