June 05, 2006

The Walkmen: A Hundred Miles Off: Review

thewalkmenahundredyearsoffCoverThe Walkmen
A Hundred Miles Off
[Record Collection - May 23]
*Sixeyes Score: 7.8 out of 10


It's hard to measure this new album, because their first full length, Everyone Who Pretended To Like Me Is Gone, often played in my ears a few years back while I trudged through the Canadian snow on a 45-minute walk several times a week. All those songs became ingrained and now when heard they stir images of winter, images that gain beauty through the 'soundtrack' and the music gains beauty through memory. Now how can a new recording compete with that? It can't. So, I will measure by this rule, 'Do I want to hear this album again?' If the answer is a simple 'yes', it's a good album. Then I must pose this measuring query, 'Do I want to hear this album again and again?' If the answer is 'Yes, Yes', it's a very good album (can you see the genius of my madness?). And if I want to still listen to this record six months from now, it may just be brilliant, but I can't see that far into the future (YET, although I am working with Dr. NakaMats on that problem). And, at this time, the answer to the question, 'Do I want to hear this album again and again?' is ... 'Yes, Yes!'

+ louisiana
+ brandy alexander

Find more songs

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:34:00 AM

    Hi.. I just wanna ask what kind of mp3 player your using cos I like that it has a small button and simple to use. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jan - I'm not sure what you want to know - do you mean what type of mp3 player i have on my computer, or do you want the code for putting the play buttons on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really dig "louisiana."

    ReplyDelete